Thursday, May 27, 2004

Paint It Simple

Well, it's only taken me a year and a half, but finally, finally, finally I'm going to paint my livingroom wall.

Did you notice the use of the singular: wall. Not walls. Not the ceiling. A wall.

I'm often the victim of my own creative brainstorms, and when you're juggling a toddler, an at home business, family and all the other elements of life, it's hard to put a room renovation on the schedule.

Here I am, a professional motivator, nudger, and nag, not doing my own creative expression. What's with that? Here are some lame excuses I am now owning up to:

  1. The baby needs me.
  2. The baby will knock the paint over.
  3. I can't move all those bookcases alone.
  4. I have to finish writing my newsletter.
  5. I have a client calling me.

    AND MY ALL TIME FAVORITE................. DRUMROLL.................

  6. I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT COLOR TO PAINT SO I BETTER LEAVE THE WALLS WHITE.


Hellooooooooo? It all really boiled down to #6. Hmmm. What color. Red? Terra Cotta? Cobalt Blue? What if the room looks too small? What if it gets too dark? What if, what if, what if...

My friends Helena and Raleigh live in this cool house in Old Towne Orange, CA. It's an amazing neighborhood of old turn of the century homes, filled with interesting neighbors and fun shops. The interior of their house is painted so many colors, each one working with the next, complementing the artwork and creating a feeling of an artists retreat. One wall is a deep red, another has a deep green accent. The bathroom is beautiful and the yard full of funky finds. I love going over there.

I think of how great their house looks and I think, "Well, I know I can't do all that work, so I might as well do nothing."

How often do we fall short of our dreams because our time and resources don't match our vision?

So here is what I commit to doing this weekend. First of all, I'm starting with one wall in the living room and one wall in the "dining room" which is really just an extension of the livingroom with a kitchen table in it. I will TSP the wall on Saturday and apply a first coat of primer. For the livingroom I'm going with Autumn Red and the dining room will be more of a terra cotta/golden color. I know that after applying those first coats of paint, the fog that has clouded my head for 18 months of living here will lift and I'll get my groove back.

Then I'm going to my friend's 40th birthday party and will have a fun and relaxing time.

Sunday we go at it with the paint once more. If the mood strikes me, I will journey down to my office and put some Frida cobalt blue up, maybe some purple. I will create my own little artist retreat and make my space fitting to my personality.

I tolerated white walls for so long because other things were happening in life. Now I'm at the point where I know that action is the only direction I can move toward.

What are you putting off? What tolerations can you jump over?

I'll let you know how it all goes... wish me luck!

No comments: