Thursday, January 06, 2005

Epiphanies in our Midst

Greetings and Happy New Year!

Today is the Feast of the Epiphany, the day when Los Tres Reyes mapped out and found their way to the newborn Jesus. When I was a kid, we'd put our shoes in the window the night of the 5th and wake up on the 6th to find them filled with little goodies. (Inevitably they had this thing for leaving us a pack of Trident gum. Ask my mom- she did the shopping for them).

So I looked up the word "epiphany" on webster.com. I really connect with the third definition:

Merriam-Webster Online: "One entry found for epiphany.


Main Entry: epiph�a�ny
Pronunciation: i-'pi-f&-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Middle English epiphanie, from Middle French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Late Greek, plural, probably alteration of Greek epiphaneia appearance, manifestation, from epiphainein to manifest, from epi- + phainein to show -- more at FANCY
1 capitalized : January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ
2 : an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being
3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery b : a revealing scene or moment "

I see this happen a lot in the lives of my clients and in my own life as well. I see it when my 2 year old learns to communicate a need to me WITH WORDS and not just cries.

There is something chispa about this, chispa being that spark within.

I wish you a beautiful year full of epiphanies that ring strong and true to your espiritu. There is a spot inside of us all that responds to this fire, a place that has been waiting for the warmth and power of an epiphany.


Ditch your resolutions and open your arms to moments of epiphany.

No comments: