Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Live On Univision! Midlife Crisis Redefined

Last week's Orange County Register article sparked up a whole bunch of chispas around here. Several women- all with remarkably similar stories- contacted me about the hopes and dreams they'd like to realize. There is a wave of excitement moving through women right now, especially women who've already cleared the hurdles of job, family, career. The midlife discoveries are in full bloom. (If you liked the story, be sure and email Justino at the OC Register)

Univision's morning program "Primera Edicion" contacted me and invited me to be an in studio guest. The topic: mid life crisis (en espanol, la crisis de la mediana edad). The idea of going on TV sounded like way too much fun so I accepted and began reflecting on this mysterious condition called mid life crisis.

I felt nervous about going on Spanish language TV, afraid that my born-in-California accent would overshadow my words, if I could even remember words in Spanish! The fear of drawing a blank haunted me, but I practiced diligently with comadres and even had a reverse coaching session with a client who teaches Spanish! (She said I spoke beautifully and had nothing to worry about)

The program is an early one (5am) so if you missed it I won't be hurt. Also, if you don't speak Spanish I can understand why you'd skip it. But still, how could I resist the opportunity to redefine mid life crisis in front of an audience of... millions??? Well, maybe thousands. I'm not sure how many people tune in to women's issues at 5am on a Tuesday, but this is LA, the second largest Mexican city outside of Mexico! This is Comadre-landia if there ever was one.

I left my house at 4am (yikes! don't even ask me what time I got up... OK, you got it out of me- 2:45am) and arrived a bit before 5. Sitting in the Green Room I met singer Manny Manuel, who sings old style romantic songs and boleros. I didn't know who he was or that he was someone famous, but you gotta figure that a cute guy with four girls accompanying him had to be someone importante.

Beatriz, who works at Univision, very graciously helped me and brought me onto the set where I sat on a big yellow couch. Socorro Cruz, the anchor, came over and for about 3 minutes we talked about mid life crisis. She was amazing. How can someone say so much so quickly so accurately and in so little time? Well, I guess that's why they pay her to do this show! I don't think I'm remotely capable of being succinct and smooth the way she was. She really inspired me and everyone on the show was happy and genuine. I hope they ask me back!

OK, so my take on the midlife crisis: I defined it not as a crisis but as an awakening. A time when women discover more options for themselves, make discoveries and embark on new paths. Knowing that the dropout rate is scary high for Latinas, I encouraged women to use this time of life to finish their educations or take steps to create their best life. The crisis, it seems, is more for the people around them who can't accept that a woman needs to change from time to time.

Lastly, keep a positive attitude and surround yourself with positive people. I wished I'd have said "And call me at Comadre Coaching!" but I forgot to say that! Fortunately, they put my name and web address on the screen so if anyone needs to contact me they can.

Lessons learned:
I can get up and drive to LA at 4am. No traffic, not a bad trip.
Univision employs some extremely nice people.
We all have an important message to share and the situation will present itself when it's time to say it.


No comments: