Thursday, April 14, 2005

American Idol: My Secret Vice

OK, I admit it. I've been an American Idol follower since season 2. Season one I was just too full of myself to even THINK about watching it. I found other things to do, like have a life.

Season 2 was a different story. I had a baby now. The rocking chair in the livingroom, the remote control, the baby... it all fit so nicely. It was so effortless.

I remember calling my mom and telling her to watch the show that season because I knew that she'd dig Clay Aiken. He's what we call "her kind of singer".

I watched it all last season, rooting tirelessly for LaToya London, first of all because she had an awesome voice and second because she was from Oaktown! Yeah East Bay! (can you tell I'm an East Bay girl?)

Those first two seasons of fanhood I kept pretty quiet about it. What would my extremely cool friends think? My sister thought the show was stupid, my best friends never watched it... I was so alone. Yet there I sat, week after week taking it all in. My husband gave me a hard time each time I put it on, calling it "Idol Worship" and "Babylonian Idol". Hmph. What does he know?

So now it's season 4. That little baby girl is now 2 1/2, and she knows what quality TV is all about. She senses Tuesday night at 8pm has arrived and starts chanting "' merican ido, 'merican ido". She even cried the other night when the show was over. "Merican Ido, don't go! Come back 'merican ido!"

So that's that. I'm out of the closet. I have lots of thoughts on this year's finalists.

Nadia, hate to see you go. You were too artsy and intelligent. They just didn't get your intention.

Constantine, you run the risk of becoming a 21st century David Coverdale. Please be careful with how you make love to the camera.

Bo and Carrie, I think the two of you would make a great couple. The Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash for a new generation.

Anwar,I love your hair. Did you know that my client's kid goes to the school where you teach? That practically makes you and I family.

Scott and Anthony, please go away. Really, Scott. You scare me and my child.

Vonzelle, I just don't get you. Sorry, I tried. I think you need to open up a dinner theater and feature you and only you as the show.


I'll leave my thoughts on Ryan, Paula (get into rehab, girl!), Simon, and Randy for another post. In the meantime, let's cross our fingers that someone will sing some Nirvana or Guns and Roses.


ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: