My last post shared some thougths on this season's American Idol contestants. Last year I started thinking about some similar feedback that keeps coming up, and I've decided to create a solution.
If you know any AI contestants, wannabe contestants, or high powered Producers with the show, please forward this message along.
Overwhelmingly we hear the judges say, "You need to find your style."
We don't usually notice someone's style until we see them doing something that is extremely NOT their style. Like when Carrie Underwood sang a Pat Benatar song and donned this rocker chic look. She's the all-American girl with a country flair and it didn't work. (Dang, I'm sounding like Randy Jackson here!)
So Idol contestants and those of you who yearn to sing in front of millions, here are my tips for honing your personal style:
1. Who does your singing and style remind people of?Ask around. Gather a big list, then narrow it down to 3 or 4.
2. List in hand, start brainstorming words that describe each one of those people on your list. For example, someone might say that you remind them of Cyndy Lauper. What are some adjectives that describe her? Quirky, witty, outrageous,punk, and offbeat come to mind.
3. Then go on to the next person. Let's say it's Gwen Stefani. Beautiful, sexy, fit, 30's movie idol, ska, versatile. How about Lauren Hill? Earthy, conscious, dedicated, deep.
4. Get the picture? Keep going down the list and take all those words and narrow them down even further to the ten that really speak to you. Words that resonate in your heart and speak of who you are.
5. You now have a list of words that describe you. Perhaps you may need to tweak them a bit, but they will help you in your selection of material, outfits, style.
6. Understand that you aren't all or nothing. You can be traditional, sexy, offbeat, and soulful. You can blend all these into your own unique package. And THAT'S the magic of knowing who you are.
American Idol are you listening? Up and coming rockers and poppers and punkers take heed. The council has spoken.
Oh and hurry up and get a domain name with your name before someone else does and charges you up the wazoo for it.
Flash! News alert!
My comadre Catherine from Hawaii is following this blog and just sent me her thoughts on American Idol. For her safety, I have edited out her likes and dislikes of Reality TV and the terms she uses to describe fans and others.
"I totally agree with your assessment of all the contestants this year and I was sooooooo hoping that America would ‘get’ Nadia – I’m sorry to see her bad self go.
So – who’s the winner according to Nancita and Citllali? Now that Nadia’s gone I’ll have to go for Constantine or Anwar. Let the guys with hair win".
Catherine A. Bruns
Women's Success Coach
Balanced Life Coaching