Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Entrepreneurial Activism, Part 3

You can read Parts One and Two first if you must...

otherwise jump right in here...



Activists want to change the world for the better. My desire to make a living without losing my conscience turned me into an entrepreneur. As time goes on, I am forced to confront and do battle with the trickster inside of me who doesn't want this to work.

The fatal flaw of many activists is the inability to look within. Having a focus on the ills of the outside world, introspection often takes the back seat. Personal dysfunctions surface, disguised as anger at a system or institution. I've seen many people who toil to bring peace and justice to the world, yet their home lives are a wreck. It's not just activists that go through this, it happens with religious groups, cultural groups, anything that calls your attention and pulls your focus.

None of us are perfect.

Entrepreneurs are prone to workaholism, as I have seen firsthand. Being consumed by what you're passionate about is wonderful and debilitating at the same time.

So the entrepreneur and the activist are both prone to imbalance and that can be a lethal cocktail.

(What a great time for a Comadre Coaching commercial... )

I'm leaving it at that for today. If anyone reading this has any thougths to share, drop me a line and let's talk.



ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: