Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Verbal Collage

The post before this one (actually after this one since you have to scroll down to see the past on this blog) talked about the Indigenous Women's Conference I just attended. While I was there, I grabbed a pen and started jotting down the sights around me. Random phrases to describe these beautiful women poured out of me and I updated the list as the day progressed. To see punk rock girls with traditional rebozos and Vans... well, that to me is part of our beauty. (My comadre Erin just told me that I delight in oddities, so that helps me understand my fascination with anomolies).

Sidebar: a rebozo is a traditional shawl, long and rectangular in shape. They can be used for a variety of purposes including baby carrying, keeping warm, lasssooing lovers, to name a few.

We were all invited to share a gift with everyone there and I simply read my verbal collage.

Now suddenly its a poem and people want to hear it again! Isn't that funny? I think so. I guess cuz I wasn't trying to write a poem.

So without any further ado, here is my verbal collage and you can try to imagine the beauty of our indigenous women. (Frida wasn't really there but doesn't she do rebozos well?)



Verbal Collage of the 1st Annual Indigenous Women's Conference

Click the arrow to listen

Long black braids, Harley t-shirt
Short dark pigtails and rebozo
Rebozos de todos colores
Braids of every length
Flacas, delgadas, llenas,
Rebozo, beaded earrings, Vans
Tattoos, noserings
Ladies with perms
Colores, colores, y mas colores
Strong mujeres

May you wrap yourselves up in rebozos woven of strength and hope.

Tazocamatic.

Aho, All my relations.



ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: