Friday, December 30, 2005

Why I'd Make a Crappy Excuse for a Drug Addict

This month of December has been riddled with an ongoing sinus infection/ general feeling of malaise that I'm happy to say has subsided. The culmination of drama happened right around my birthday (Dec 14th) when my head was so stuffed up I thought I was going to explode. By the 16th I gave in and went to the doctor and got something, but had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Hives, anyone? Or how about a cheap rendition of collagen injected lips? Take benadryl, they told me. Benedryl makes you sleepy, did you know that? Can you imagine taking care of an active 3 year old while on downers? Not good. Yes, Dad helped but she is all about mom and it was hard for me.

My Own Private Valley of the Dolls
They drummed you out of Hollywood, so you come crawling back to Broadway. But Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. Now get out of my way, I've got a man waiting for me.- Helen Lawson, VOD

So after 4 days of infernal agony, I went back to the doctor and got some type of prednisone to get rid of the allergic reaction. Well, just my luck I had an allergic reaction to that! I thought I was going nuts (literally) and read the mile long list of possible side effects. About 3/4 down the page I see myself:

The psychiatric disturbances include depression, euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, personality changes, and even psychotic behavior.

I think I had all of those. Honestly, I was bonkers. I had to call Paco and have him come home from work to help me with Citlalli. I was all tweaked out! I make a crappy drug addict, something I am grateful for. My body just doesn't like them. Even Claritin makes me wanna barf. Fortunately we know a great acupuncturist who takes insurance and lives close by, so I went to her home office and that really helped balance my body out. I still had hives every now and then, but I got my sanity back!

But what you really want right now are more Valley of the Dolls quotes right?

Oh and the Holidays, Darling
What with my descent into the depths of druggery and all, my trip home for the holidays was postponed few days. I missed our big tamalada party on the 21st which was a shame as I am the Masa Queen. My sister had to take the post and it was challenging for her but she pulled through like a champ. Masa making is serious business. It involves no-fear lard handling, a bit of intuition, and good old culinary science.

I tasted the tamales a few days later and they were great. The day after Christmas I made tamales with her and they turned out awesome! I kept trying to invent new recipes to use up the mountains of ham that seemed to accumulate after Christmas but no one was excited about eating ham tamales. However my chile and cheese, walnut raisin tamales, and assorted sweets rocked. I also made cajeta that was to die for.

The rest of my time here has been pure indulgence, eating nonstop. NONSTOP! It's raining a lot so what else should we do with ourselves? :-)

Of course the absence of my dad is unbearable. I'm still not used to him not being here and keep expecting to hear his footsteps. But I feel his spirit all around us so it's not like he's completely gone. My family's M.O. is to keep busy, which helps us all get through. We're talking about him, sharing memories, and creating new traditions.

We head back after New Year's to get back to the grind. What a month it's been! Happy New Year to all and just say no to pharmaceuticals!

ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: