Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Accidental Techie

Yesterday I spoke to the National Latina Business Women's Association on using technology in business.

Me.

Technology in business.


(Reminds me when my nephew Andrew was little and he was seated in a restaurant with actual silverware in front of him. For the first time, no one was doing the sweep of dangerous objects he could hurl across the room. "Me? A fork? Wow! Me?")

I guess I didn't take notice, but after running a mostly virtual business for the past 3 years, I have acquired more than my share of tech expertise. Now I don't mean tech like I'm going to debug your computer and fix your jammed printer (although I do have a gift with old persnickety copy machines), but really the APPLICATION of technology.

In my talk, I asked the attendees to remember WHY they had their own business to begin with and WHAT their business needs to stay visible.

In my case, it was all about wanting to create a home based business that wouldn't interrupt my life as a mom. A virtual business was the way to go and staying visible required me to establish a web presence.

Did I know how to do any of this? NO.
Was I willing to learn? Absolutely.


I embarked on an adventure that unveiled the mysterious world of internet marketing, websites, you name it. I took a beginning HTML class at my local junior college (6 months pregnant and a good deal older than my classmates), spent hours and hours on web tutorials, all to make this succeed.

The first thing I did was launch a website, then the ezine, next came teleclasses, blogs, podcasts... dang, I have done a lot haven't I? A natural teacher, I find it easy to share what I've learned with others.

To balance things out at the presentation, NLBWA also invited people who actually understand tech and speak that language. The local Staples store sent some folks over with great information on gadgets (that was easy!) , and Ray Hernandez, CEO of Pueblo-Tel told us about his Voice Over Internet Phone company. (As soon as I finish figuring out how to move this blog successfully over to Type Pad, I'm calling Ray. Sounded very cool and saves lots of dinero).

By the way, muchas gracias to Addy Perez Mau of Heaven Sent Jewelry for bedazzling me w/ her bling. She made me this awesome necklace and earrings to wear while I spoke.

Speaking of all things tech, check out the interview I did with Addy on my podcast. She and I have a lot in common, besides that fact that we were born just days apart and are both Sagitarrius Dragons. Growl! Powerful women unite.



Random photos:

Here I am dazzling them with my brilliance.


And you can learn more about NLBWA by clicking their logo

ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: