Saturday, August 19, 2006

Ice Cream, Grit Under the Car Seat and Other Highlights From a La Vida Loca

Today was a restless day punctuated with cravings for sweets and the desire to GET OUT of the house. My husband wasn't feeling well so I invited 3 year old Citlalli to have some girl fun with mom. How could she refuse, we're BFFs.

Ice cream was on my mind. Either Watson's old fashioned drugstore/fountain in Old Towne Orange, or maybe Ben and Jerry's?

Using an ice cream date as the carrot on the stick, I got Citlalli to eat ALL of her frijoles, half an avocado, and take a gummy bear vitamin. Each time she put up a fuss I mentioned how poor little me would just have to go eat all that ice cream alone... well, it worked and she gobbled her dinner up.

She had vanilla in a chocolate sprinkle waffle cone and I had a scoop of strawberry cheesecake in a cup if you're curious. While we ate she decided that her name would now be Sparkle Girl and I'd be Ice Cream Girl. Later on I was renamed Raindrop Girl which I like a whole lot better and sounds way more Ben and Jerry-ish.

Next to the Ben and Jerry's is a new Hooka Lounge. I wasn't sure what that meant til I saw the Hooka pipes on the counter and hand written warnings on the windows warning everyone that this was a place to smoke and that pregnant women shouldn't come in. Then that reminded me of a bizarre craving I had for tobacco when I was pregnant (I don't smoke and I didn't fulfill the craving but it was odd).

As I was strapping Citlalli into her carseat on our way out, I couldn't believe how dirty the car was. Imagine a mix of cheerios, sand, twigs, leaves, broken crayons, and doll parts all ground into the rug of a car. It was disgusting. And whose fingernails were those? Eeek.

We had to go through a full 2 rounds of vaccuming, that means $2.00 of heavy duty vacuuuming! We didn't have any rags with us so using the carwash was out, but as soon as we got home we set to work on making our wagon sparkle.

I have neighbors who are compulsive car washers. We are the occasional car washers. My philosophy is "why bother? It will be covered in fingerprints and cheerios tomorrow?" But every now and then the bug bites me and I feel oh so California out there with my bucket and sponge.

Actually if I were super OC I'd go to some place and have my car washed for me, but the way they set up the carwashes is so voyeuristic. Anyhow, I feel a rant coming on and I don't want you to see me lose it right now. It's too good a day.


ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: