Sunday, February 25, 2007

The $296 Car Key and Other Fun Expenses

All I can say is that this period of Mercury in Retrograde has kicked my ass and emptied my pocket book. And that's the bright side!

If you read my last post, you caught me mid-saga of losing the keys to a rental car. Long story short: don't ever do that.

I thought it would cost me the quoted $100 which was outrageous, but I made peace with it. So imagine my ... ahem... delight when I picked up the car and it cost me $296 for the replacement key. $150 for labor. $146 for assorted odds and ends. They could have at least washed the bugs off the windshield, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Flipping back to gratitude, I had to say thank you that we had transportation and we got home safely.

After the long drive home from the Bay Area to Southern California, my husband informed me that our computer monitor blacked out. I am not a techie, but for some reason I am our household fixit person and nothing seemed to help. It was clearly a case of "monitor death", so I went out and purchased a new computer monitor. Do you hear the cash register ringing in the background?

The very intelligent and super tech savvy salesperson at the store was great. She steered me toward a fantastic 19" monitor that dwarfed our old one. Wow! What resolution! What clarity! I took it home, hooked it up... hmmmmm, why isn't it looking like it did in the store?

Well, maybe because my computer is a 3 year old obsolete donkey of a machine. These new snazzy monitors are made for computers that have (Mom, if you're reading this, please close your eyes) huevos. My computer lacks that quality. It is the castrated ox in a world of bulls.

This all reminded me of a time when I bought a fantastic pair of shoes that made me feel like the coolest, sassiest, hottest thing alive and but didn't go with anything I owned so I had to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe to match these new shoes.

$80 shoes turned into $500 worth of clothes.

So I have this Cadillac monitor hitched up to my Pinto computer. They don't like each other. The Pinto computer is copping attitude big time and taking forever to do relatively simple tasks. The Cadillac monitor is playing Princess and not delivering all the bells and whistles she promised in the store.

Flip to gratitude: Oh well, at least I have an internet connection and can function (even at a basic level).

After talking to my friend's husband who is a bonafide tech geek, I am going to get a whole new computer set up. It was planned for this month anyhow, it just didn't happen on my time.

But not all is downtrodden. Through all this, I started working with some new clients who are absolutely amazing women and I am very excited to work with them. They value the work I do, and are committed and ready. A longtime client gifted an employee of hers with a year of coaching with me (let's nominate her for Boss of the Century). The flow of money in counters the flow out, so I'm not crying too hard in my suds.

I'm just counting the days til March 9 when Mercury goes out of retrograde. But then there are these 2 eclipses in March that are supposed to have funky effects... OK, we'll cross those bridges when we get to them.


ComadreCoaching.com

No comments: