Saturday, February 17, 2007

Lost Keys on Vacation

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you lost your keys to a rental car while on vacation?

Well, I'm not actually "on vacation", I'm visiting my mom in the Bay Area for the President's Day long weekend. My sis and I rented a car and drove up (w/ little Citlalli of course) and all was well.

Need an opinion on the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix?
Hauls ass. Loved it.

But today I lost the keys. ARGGH! I was wearing sweats and had no pockets. I got something out of the rental and went over to my sister JL's car and put my keys on the roof while I was putting stuff in her car. I made a mental note to get the keys off the roof, but something distracted me and I totally forgot.

A couple hours later I was looking for the keys and after piecing it all together, I realized what had happened.

OK, so I'm sure you want to know what happens. I hope you don't have to deal w/ this ever again.

1. You call the rental company's roadside assistance dept. You try to tell them the story as succinctly as possible. "Hello, I lost the keys to my rental. No they're not IN the car, they're lost." In my mind, I'm swearing between every 3 words or so.

2. Rental company finds a dealership near you that can make a new key. They send a tow truck to get your car and take it to dealership.

3. Dealership can't make key without proof of title. Oops, I happened to pick a rental office that closed early on Saturdays and is closed on Sundays!

So long story short, we have to wait another 2 days before we know the fate of our plight. I have to foot the bill on the new key which I don't even want to think about right now.

Lessons learned:
1. Always have pockets, regardless how cute you look in your little sweats, have a pocket.

2. Write notes on paper, not on brain cells.

3. Rent your car from an office that has long weekend hours!

I'm sure this will all be water under the bridge soon, and we're just dealing with it. Life goes on and yet again my Higher Power is teaching me something. What that lesson is, I have no idea but maybe I'll figure it out when I'm zooming down Highway 5 Monday with this whole ordeal behind me.



ComadreCoaching.com

2 comments:

Catherine B said...

OK - here's another one for ya. Leave the rental car parked at the curb in front of the Molokai airport terminal (an Hawaiian island for those not in the know - where you actually can still drive to the two car garage size terminal), get on the plane and fly home to Oahu... with the keys in your pocket. There's more to this tidbit of a story, but that's for another day.... or airport

Nancita said...

But isn't it mo bettah in Molokai, regardless where your keys are???

:-)