Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Microsoft Vista: The Hand of Evil

"Why didn't you get a Mac?"

My voice froze. My fingers went numb on the phone. No sound could come out of my mouth except for a mumbling response to the question.

"I... I... I... forgot to think about that?"

I wasn't even sure if I was answering a question or asking a new one.

I was talking to my brother, a dyed in the wool Mac lover, about the new bane of my existence: Windows Vista.

My friend Suzanne Falter Barns summed it up nicely on a recent blog post: Why Vista Sucks.

The highly intelligent and literate Suzanne really summed it up in the most poetic way possible. In fact, let me add some multilingualism and dare say that Vista is pura caca. Straight from the burro's behind, 100% crap.

I'm actually fearful of uttering such words after seeing The Secret a hundred million times because I don't want the Law of Attraction goon squad to come back at me with more PC misery, but I feel compelled to share this tale of woe in order to forewarn my fellow users.

A while back I bitched and moaned about my computer and how it needed to be replaced. So after tax time, I decided to take the plunge into the 21st Century with a computer that could keep up with my needs.

My friend's husband, an IT geek, highly suggested I purchase a Dell. So I called Dell and the nice guy on the phone walked me through a long assessment of what I needed and proceeded to ring up my order. I was just nodding yes to whatever he said, and just wanted a computer that worked.

"You really want to have Vista installed on this", he emphasized.
"OK, whatever", I replied. Little did I know!

We got the new computer and Vista was a nightmare from the get go. Internet explorer would just stop working all of a sudden. Then it would restart. In MS Office, I'd go to open a Word doc and a message would pop up saying that the document couldn't be found. Then I'd click again and it would appear. Crazy stuff like that.

Dell recommended I go through their knowledge base which was confusing (geeks writing for geeks), and I called tech support for help. Even the tech support guy told me he was having the same problems with his new Vista system!

The learning curve was fierce, the malfunctions rampant, so I made a major decision. I wanted to return the computer to Dell and start over from scratch. Get my money back, put it towards a Mac and all would be well. I even called Mac and they were happy to set me up.

So I called Dell and waited forever on hold to talk to someone in the return department. Finally I spoke with a woman, told her my story, and waited for her to gladly tell me all would be well and that a return would be no problem.

Her voice took on an overly empathetic tone.
"I'm so sorry you have had to go through this. Please know that I understand your frustration."

Red flag alert, red flag alert! I feel a "too bad you're stuck with the piece of crap" coming on.

I agreed that yes, I am frustrated and what could she do about it?

She continued to empathize. "Oh yes, I can understand how frustrating this must be."

In my mind I'm thinking, why isn't she answering my question? When will I get my money back?

"Unfortunately..."

OK, here it is. The stroke job. The total too bad-so sad- your dad response.

"... our return policy is 21 days and it appears you've gone over 21 days."

I think I was at day 31. She didn't seem to care.

I could go on and on, whine and cry some more, but here's the score so far:
Dell got my money. I got this crappy system.

I either have to learn to live with this evil Vista, or find a way to sell my computer. I could donate it to charity, but then some organization would be stuck with the bane of my existence.

Personally, I think it's really unfair. Vista is full of bugs and by the time you get over the first hump of many learning curves, your 21 day return time is up. That's lame.

Can't they make a Lemon Law for computers? Must we be at the mercy of Microsoft? Why is Dell being so damn rigid?

I think I'm going to dump PCs forever and get a Mac. Figure out what to do with this creature I'm now on and try to bless whoever it goes to. Maybe the kinks will work out eventually but me personally, I have better things to do than wait around.


ComadreCoaching.com

1 comment:

Crafty Chica said...

i wish you had called me!!! i switched to a mac four years ago LOVE i t. it is perfect for creative people like u s. no crashing, no viruses, it's so easy to use (it takes bit of getting used to at first). i have dell laptops for my work and man, what a difference! every day is a crap shoot as to if it will work ok. we know have three macs in da house....

i'd say, keep the pc for internet use (or sell it on craigs list!) and then invest in a mac for all your business stuff. it will change your life!!